Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LEAPING LEATHER!


(ACNE)

Before I begin to wax lyrical about the joys of supple animal skin, a disclaimer: I used to be a vegetarian. Not the hemp wearing, vegan worshipping type - but I was definitely anti-animal food. When I finally caved in to my inner cave-woman, I could no longer shun the soft leather jackets and lofty suede lace-up boots that beckoned to me in all their ebony goodness. So, to all of you who prefer their food without a face, I apologise.
But the truth is, I know several vegetarians who turn their noses up at a delicious bolognese, but will happily indulge in a brand new Yves Saint Laurent leather bag without a second thought. What's that about, peeps? Sure, I understand the repulsion you get when you think about the origin of your meaty meal, and with PJ Harvey, Prince, Barry White and even Plato as your animal loving buddies, it's easy to see why you'd want to be in such esteemed vegetable-smelling company. But, seriously, stop with the falsity and omit the animal skin from your wardrobe . Trot on over to Stella McCartney (she'll sort you out with some non-creature derived threads).  
As for the small bunch of us who still enjoy satisfying our carnivorous desires, we also have the added benefit of being able to enjoy this spring's tricky trend - leather shorts. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the Acne people and Alexander Wang bucked the trend for the ubiquitous leather jacket and headed southwards to the pant region. Being the proud owner of a spiffy leather skirt myself, I understand the appeal of donning a leather piece. Buttoning up the high-waisted skirt, I feel confident, irresistible, and, well, tough. Melbourne can be a bit of a mine-field - sometimes all a girl needs is a bit of a thicker skin to battle the elements. The leather short might conjure up notions of homosexual fetishism - but I suggest you abandon those ideas at once and allow yourself to brave the trend. I think the key is to keep it loose and relaxed - wear with a slouchy tee and a smile and watch the world flock to your feet. What do you think of the leather short? And the vegetarians who might be wearing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment